Introduction to Project Orion II

Project Orion II - Rovering with Turtles
is the 4th Scouts of the World Award (SWA) Voluntary Service Project of the SWA Singapore Base.

The 2nd installment of this project will be led by 9 youths from Singapore and they will return to Setiu, Terengganu, where the pioneer team had left their legacy a year ago.

The primary aim of the team would be the conservation of sea turtles, but that would not be their only contribution during the project duration of 26th June to 10th July. The 9 passionate youths will also be involved in mangrove replanting, repair work for the villagers and WWF info centre and English and conservation awareness education for the children.


"Leave the place a little better than you first found it." - Lord Baden Powell

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wan Ming Xian's profile

Name: Wan Ming Xian
Unit: Bukit Panjang Eagle Scout Group
Occupation(s): Student!
Hobbies: Baking/cooking! And outdoor activities like cycling, picnics & kite-flying, photo-trips, exploring weird little corners of Singapore etc. :D


What are your aims for Project Orion II?

I hope to make a difference in turtle conservation and to make an impact in the lives of the villagers there. It's also to create awareness regarding conservation of the environment.


What is your purpose for taking up Project Orion II?

I took up Project Orion II because I wanted to participate in something meaningful and i was very interested in such activities regarding Nature. I was further inspired when I attended the SWA workshop 2010. I felt that something needs to be done about the environment and i need to be part of it. It may not be something major like a revamp of the world etc, but saving a little beats saving nothing. A little goes a long way! (: I really want to be part of something to conserve the world that I love.


What services do you have to offer to save the environment?

I want to help by creating awareness. Many people do not realise the extent of the problem so they chose to ignore it. I believe that educating the public is very important and it helps to garner more support and manpower too. I can choose to do it alone or spread the message and help a whole group of people working with me. I want to choose the latter.


Other than that, I'm doing all that i can to help the environment... I recently managed to convince my family to change all our bulbs to the energy-saving ones and I've been nagging them quite a bit regarding energy conserving. :D So much as that I heard from them that they are more conscious of it and are even talking about such stuff to their friends too! :D


What do you think about the environment currently?

I may not know as much..but from what I've seen in the videos during the SWA workshop, i realised how much of the precious resources, endangered creatures and beautiful lands we are losing every single second. The world is slowly stepping up on their Go-Green campaigns but more needs to be done fast because precious time lost means precious resources gone.


What do you think should be done to minimize the damage our environment is facing?

Education. Educating the people is the first step to conserving the environment. Only through proper education will they realise the extent of the problem. The recent BP oil-spill may have jolted people awake regarding conservation issues but even then the media is not doing enough to show the world how much damage the oil-spill has caused to the environment. The issue of conservation is not treated as seriously by most people so not many are taking action. We should step up more on spreading awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment